Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Winter/early spring watering

Wanted to find my earlier blog as a reminder about winter and spring watering in the fabulous state of Colorado, but then remembered; one of the dead ones from myspace. Sigh.

Water your shrubs and trees, people! I know we're enjoying this 60 degree weather, but the trees and shrubs are so thirsty! My rule of thumb is if we have three days of 40 degree weather or warmer during the winter (which happens quite a bit) then water your trees. Brian and I have taken the Home Depot 5 gallon buckets, drilled a small hole in the bottom, filled them up and let them slowly drain out. This way, we know they're getting at least 5 gallons of water, and it's easy to move the buckets when they're empty. It takes a little more time, but if you have more than one bucket, it doesn't take too long!

Most people lose their plants to dehydration more than anything else. We've had a very dry winter, so keep the water coming!

2 comments:

JEberhard said...

I love you, I love you, I love you!!! This is such a good idea & it doesn't require me to be at home to shut any water off OR David to remember to shut the water off, since both have those have been overwatering issues! :) I think I will try this idea, this weekend! Thanks My Garden Guru!

Heather said...

You are so very welcome!!