Monday, November 10, 2008

Not sure what to label this

Okay. New information that does ABSOLUTELY nothing for anyone, but it is new. Mom's cancer started on her omentum, not in her ovaries. They will be treating it the same as ovarian cancer, but...this answers a LOT of questions that we have. As in...how in the hell did it spread so fast (within a year)??? She had an ultrasound of her ovaries last year with nothing showing.
Around two years ago, my mother had what is called an omental infarction. This is the twisting of her omentum. Here's an article about what the omentum is
With the omentum infarction, came severe abdominal pain. They did a cat scan, diagnosed that was what was causing the pain, and then sent her home. The pain eventually resided, and the omentum was out of our minds.

I believe the cancer started the omental infarction, and it wasn't detected in the cat scan. I believe she's had cancer for almost two years. I believe it has had the time to spread in this two years.

I'm blown away. My father and I are piecing things together. Who to call to let these doctors know NOT to blow off patients with omental infarction. We feel that it is a necessity to at least put the information out there.

Now, I'm not a doctor, this is purely my own guessing. But the biopsy has proven that the cancer came from her omentum. Could we have prevented her having Stage 3C cancer by removing her omentum long ago? Do we need to even be asking ourselves this? I don't know, I just do know that I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

No comments: