Thursday, November 27, 2008

5 things to be thankful for...

I woke up this morning, and decided that I would put some thought into what I am thankful for. There are more than five things, of course, but these are my TOP 5. In random order:

1. My husband. We've been married for almost 14 years. We have shared laughter, tears, arguments, make-up sex, down times, up times and flat times. He is my best friend. My hero in so many ways. He loves me with such strength that it's mind boggling. He loves my quirks (and I have many) and laughs at/with me at the best times. He is intelligent and sensitive and the opposite of me in almost every way, but somehow we are perfect for each other. I love you, Brian.

2. My kids. We started early, and so many people thought it was never meant to be, but 3 kids later, I wouldn't change how we started for anything. They each are unique. Different personalities, different characteristics. Each show us their love in different ways. I'm thankful they are healthy, smart, active young boys. Their is nothing like the love of boys for their mother.

3. Friends. There was a time in my life where I felt alone. That I had to do things on my own without any help. That I had to conquer my fears all by myself. Not anymore. I have a close group of friends that I call nearly daily. I have family in my life that are my best friends. I am so grateful that they show their unconditional love to me because I am not perfect and far from being so. I could not imagine going back to the time where I was alone. Thank you.

4. A place to live. All around me there are people losing their jobs, and losing their homes. Two years ago, I was hesitant to move in to my current home, but after taking the time to make it mine, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. (well, if I won a million dollars, maybe...) I am so grateful for having a roof over my head. I am grateful to have heat during the cold days, and air conditioning during the hot ones! I am grateful for having a bed to sleep on during the night. I try not to take all of this for granted...especially when reaching into my refrigerator or pantry and knowing there is always somethng there to eat.

5. My family. This goes to my extended family on both sides. Of course my mom and dad who have always been there for me. Who love me with such great tenderness that it brings me to tears to write about it. My mom and dad who I couldn't imagine not here on this earth. I would die for them. My in-laws who I am happy to call mom and dad. I am so grateful that they are who they are. They would willingly give the shirts off their backs for their family. I also thank them for raising such a wonderful man. I owe them big time for that. My aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents. We have something unique, you all. A love for each other that motivates us to see each other every other year. The need to contact each other when our hearts are heavy. We know that we will be there for each other through anything. I don't see this closeness in a lot of families and revel in the uniqueness. We enjoy each other's company and love to laugh with one another. It is something to truly be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments: