Monday, April 18, 2011

What's happening in a Colorado garden

Dividing. Or trying to. With these winds I have tried to work outside but keep blowing sideways. Quite a few things to divide to make the plants look their best! Shasta daisies (the great whole in the middle is a clear indication they need division ), Gallardia, or blanket flower (these suckers bloom themselves to death. Division rejuvenates them), asters (they will take over, and who doesn't want more in other places?), Yarrow (same as asters...for the most part!), Rudbeckia and Red Valerian(too close to my flagstone path. I also need to move my echinacea Magnus as it gets in my way getting out of my car. Looking at my Dianthus, too, which needs some new life. That essentially is why we divide. To breathe new life into our plants. They get too crowded where they are and their roots need breathing room.

Preparing soil. I also re-tilled my vegetable garden while adding a new product that has no poop in it! All vegetable and fruit compost. I am curious to see the results. I planted my first round of lettuce and snap peas (a little late) and am very happy with the soil.

Pulling weeds. Get 'em!! Right now they are relatively small but waiting one week could be the difference of a hand spade to a garden shovel! Every year we have little elms that try to grow, and we saw the first round this weekend.

Feeding. Fed all of my trees and shrubs and now am feeding my perennials. Lots of work, but it is worth it with our terrible soil!

Planning. Moving plants in other places to make room for more purchases this spring!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Wow, you are busy! I need to do some dividing too. The wind has really sapped me this year. It seems relentless. I'll be interested in how your fruit & veggie compost works for you. Isn't the rain great??