Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Not my cup of tea

Lately, as Brian has had to work longer hours, I have tried to help out by cooking meals at least two times a week. I know this doesn't seem much to most women out there, but it's a lot to me. I cannot stand cooking. I can't stand feeling like I'm strapped in one room with no way out for a couple of hours. I don't like the heat. I don't like the not knowing what I'm doing, and I especially don't like the idea of the lack of flavor, or something burnt having to go down my family's throat. I'm just not a cook. Thankfully my husband doesn't mind or we'd starve to death. I DO enjoy letting him rest when he comes home, however. That makes me feel accomplished.

The other day I had to cook something. It was last minute, and it actually turned out half way decent, but I was ENRAGED in the kitchen. I wasn't angry at any particular thing, just enraged that I was cooking. I beat the ever lasting shit out of everything I was preparing. Ha!

I'm going to try it again today. I'm starting early, hoping to cook in a crock pot so the feeling of being strapped in the kitchen isn't as strong. I'm hoping it turns out so there's a feeling of accomplishment rather than a strong feeling of failure. Wish me luck. (wish the meat luck, too)

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Ohhh! I LOVE my crock pot! (And I hate cooking too...) The best type of crock pot meals are the ones where you just dump everything in and go away...

Whatd'ja make? :)

Heather said...

Yay! Someone else who doesn't like cooking. I'm NOT alone!
I made brisket. It was tender, but after cooking all day in a sauce, it still didn't collect the flavor. I'm not sure why. The recipe told me to cut off the fat, and Brian told me never to do that again with brisket. LOL. Maybe you could share some easy crockpot recipes with this novice cook? *batting eyelashes*

Anonymous said...

I hate to cook. I have always picked partners with excellent cooking skills...lol

one reason why I hate being single :(

Heather said...

One of the many reasons I love my hubby. He likes to cook. When we were first married, we made a deal that I would clean, he would cook. It's worked for us. However, this was before he was working 10-11 hour days! I've got to be good for sumthin'!
I bet you never eat unless your kids are with you, huh?

Nancy said...

Heather, here are some yummy, easy, and somewhat healthy ones I do ALL.THE.TIME. :)

Pot Roast
pork chops
Chicken
Chicken Ole'
And my personal favorite, Burger Soup

(And I would have shared even without the eyelash batting...but it sure did help ;) )