Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The death of plants

It seems I have lost quite a few of my perennials over the winter. I am not sure if it is because of the dry fall, dry and cold winter, or dry spring (are you seeing a pattern here?) Just proves that you really have to hand water to keep them alive here in Colorado.

Most of the items I lost were from smaller containers, and planted later in the growing season. In my experience, the gallon size perennials seem to have a higher success rate than the 2 or 3 inch. I also tried chocolate flower and am very disappointed that that one doesn't seem to be coming back. I just have to tell myself that it's early, and to give them a little more time to sprout from the ground. The one that I am MOST surprised that didn't come back was my Jacob's Kline Monarda. I have NEVER had problems with Monarda coming back (invasive, anyone?) and am extremely disappointed because I have to order that one online. Again, I am guessing it is a dryness issue since Monarda likes it a little damp.

I had almost convinced myself that I would limit my plant spending this year as I wanted to see how everything was filling out. Since I keep adding year to year, a lot of my plants are on second and third years, and will be a true joy to behold. I keep getting magazines of these lush, beautiful gardens and would love that look. Obviously, I need to add more shrubs to my gardens for the greenery. I also need to move to a place that isn't quite as arid. ;)

I am happy to note that even though I didn't water ONCE, my raspberry in my large wine barrel is alive and well. This should be the year we get fruit on it, so I am glad it survived my neglect. I highly recommend planting your raspberries in a wine barrel because it keeps it contained and doesn't seem to be fussy.

Did any of you lose anything this year? It's like saying goodbye to an old friend. It makes me melancholy. However, when I am at work, I tend to get over the sadness quickly because there is always another beautiful plant to replace the old one!!

No comments: